Nate Koechley’s Resume
Contribute technical and organizational insight and leadership to passionate and high-performance teams of designers, engineers, and product strategists for consumer facing web technology projects.
Web professional with deep frontend engineering expertise and a global perspective skilled in user experience design and product strategy. Successful team leader, manager, and executive. Sought after speaker, writer, and trainer.
- Worked with co-founding designer and engineer to create the alpha version of a consumer web site using HTML5, CSS3, YUI3, jQuery and Mustache in three months
- Helped build the associated HTML5/CSS3 mobile web app for iOS and Android
Invited Presenter, "Taxonomy of Touch" YUI Conference 2010
- Provided technology and design guidance on leveraging the emergence of touch and gestures across iOS devices, Android, webOS and WP7 platforms
- Demonstrated coding techniques for engineering a unified code that can serve multiple I/O models (touch vs. mouse)
- Reported on touch and gesture event models being standardized by the W3C’s Web Events working group
Business Analyst Consultant Fortune 500 Company
- Helped the global web team create a prioritized roadmap for the upcoming eight quarters
- Led cross-disciplinary workshops for project scoping and resourcing
- Developed strategic language for mapping corporate priorities to implementation plans
- Provided strategic insight to roll out a new design across global regions on disparate infrastructure
Frontend Engineer Yahoo! Inc.
- Helped the team integrate their product into native and toolbar environments
- Bug fixing and coordination
- Development of mobile instance of widget
VP, Interactive Services
- Directed interaction designers, visual and production designers, and web developers across San Francisco and Seoul, Korea offices
- Increased New User conversion rates by 75%
- Integrated design process into Agile-based development methodology while balancing multiple large-scale product development cycles with concurrent daily production demands
- Developed corporate strategies with executive team
- Coordinated third-party implementations with Meebo, multiple payment gateways, and CDNs
Technical Evangelist, YUI Library Platform Engineering & Yahoo! Developer Network
- Traveled the globe meeting with engineers, designers, and product people; presented and taught at more than 40 design and development events
- Trained employees on "Professional Frontend Engineering," "High Performance Web Sites," "The YUI CSS Foundation" and more
- Edited and developed YUI Blog and managed social media strategy
- Provided cross-company technical leadership, guidance and internal and external consulting
- Helped organize, lead, and judge Yahoo! Hack Days in California and London
- Planned and hosted YUI developer meet-ups and events
Senior Frontend Engineer, YUI Library Platform Engineering Group
- Helped design, build, deploy, promote, and support the creation and ongoing development of the widely-respected and adopted Yahoo! User Interface (YUI) Library
- Coordinated development of the related Yahoo! Design Patterns Library
- Created and promoted the widely-cited Graded Browser Support methodology and published publicly-available quarterly updates
- Bridged Design and Engineering constituencies across the company
- Facilitated usability research of interface controls and design patterns
- Organized Yahoo! Accessibility strategy
Sabbatical Backpacking across Asia
- China, Central Asia, the Himalayas, India, Japan, and Thailand
Senior Web Developer Design Technologist, Platform Design Group
- Codified and developed centralized libraries of modular design patterns and code
- Researched and developed core typography and grid-based design standards and templates deployed globally
- Led multiple extended sessions at Yahoo! Global Design events in London and Hong Kong
- Embedded with external design agencies for long-range design exploration projects
Web Development Manager Search & Marketplace Division, User Experience & Design Group
- Hired and helped grow the Web Development group from 3 to 60 members
- Developed and coordinated training programs for Yahoo! staff across Asia, Europe, and Latin America
- Provided frontend guidance for key redesign of Yahoo! Search and Yahoo! Maps
- Provided Design Management support across Yahoo! Search, Local, Maps, Autos, Shopping, Travel, Real Estate, Auctions, Classifieds, and related properties
Web Developer Commerce Division, User Experience & Design Group
- One of the first web developers hired at Yahoo!
- Pioneered and drove adoption of Web Standards across the global company
- Authored Yahoo!’s first CSS code base
- Contributed ti Yahoo!’s Homepage, Shopping, Travel, Autos, Real Estate, Auctions, Classifieds, and related properties
- Invited stakeholder for key Yahoo! Mail projects
- Received a patent for early work improving typography across web browsers
- Recent book contributions include "High Performance Web Sites" (O’Reilly, 2008), "Modular Web Design" (New Riders Press, 2009), and "Developing Large Web Applications" (O’Reilly, 2010), and "Microformats" (friends of ED, 2007).
- Consulted for a wide range of companies including the New York Times Digital, Netflix, PayPal, eBay, TiVo, Walmart, Ticketmaster/Live Nation, Oracle, Adobe, and Microsoft.
- Presented about the intersection of design and technology at National Taiwan University (Taiwan), South by Southwest (Austin), @Media (London), Ajax Experience (Boston), IceWeb (Iceland), Kings of Code (Amsterdam), Web Visions (Portland), Web Design World (Chicago, Seattle, San Francisco), CSUN (Los Angeles), and dozens more.
- Consulted with Microsoft’s IE team during the development of IE7 and IE8.
- Delivered bespoke training sessions for Microsoft (MIX), Adobe (MAX), and Yahoo!.
- First US Patent granted in late 2009.
- University of Wisconsin, Madison
- Phone: (415) 935-0877
- Email: nate at koechley dot com